|Spicy Shepherd's Pie|
Tonight's dinner plans swiftly changed when I spotted some cut-price mince on my post-work shelfing - at £3.60 down to £1.26 it had to be bought! I used some of my current bag of #SOS spuds (down from £1.95 to 50p) and whipped up a spicy shepherd's pie as a bit of an experiment - here's how I made it:
1) Boil and mash some potatoes, add a knob of butter and a little milk.
2) Soften a chopped onion in a frying pan for a few minutes with a glug of oil.
3) Add a chopped fresh chilli, a knob of finely chopped fresh ginger, a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, a few diced fresh tomatoes and a tablespoon of tomato puree.
4) Add a teaspoon of ground coriander, teaspoon of ground cumin, half a teaspoon of turmeric and crumble up a beef stock cube.
5) Add the mince and brown for a few minutes.
6) Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish, add a glug of water and some frozen peas.
7) Top with the mashed potato and bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
Total cost approx £2 and enough to serve four. I also served it with some #SOS tenderstem broccoli from last night's shelf raid.
A spicy alternative to traditional shepherd's pie!