Wednesday 22 August 2012

Meatball, chorizo, potato and pea stew - 4-6 portions for £3!

Meatball, chorizo, potato and pea stew

Now this was a tasty dinner, even if I do say so myself - and a recipe I dreamt up this afternoon no less! Cut-price too as I had hunter gathered some #SOS meatballs yesterday.

I served it with asparagus as I had an #SOS bargain bunch to use (down from £2 to 50p) and am on a bit of a health kick, but this would be really quite lovely served with hot crusty bread to mop up the sauce.

Here's how I made it:

1) Peel 2-3 potatoes and chop into bite-sized chunks.
2) Put the potatoes on to boil for 10 minutes or until tender.
3) Brown the meatballs in a frying pan with a little oil.
4) Drain away the fat and pop the meatballs to one side in a big saucepan.
5) Soften a chopped onion and a few chopped cloves of garlic in a little oil.
6) Add some chopped chorizo, two teaspoons of paprika, a teaspoon of mixed herbs and a dollop of tomato puree.
7) Once soft, transfer the onion and chorizo mix to the saucepan with the meatballs.
8) Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, give it a good stir and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
9) Add some frozen peas and the cooked potatoes and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
10) Serve with some fresh chopped herbs sprinkled on top if you have some to hand.

The chorizo gave this a really lovely smokey flavour and is definitely one I'll be creating again. Quietly chuffed with this creation and it came in at around £3 for 4-6 portions. Lunch sorted for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment