|Rocket and potato soup|
Saturday, 16 March 2013
Recipe: Rocket and potato soup
Anyway, the soup was a bit of an experiment to use up leftover rocket. I don't know about you but I always find that if I don't use up salad leaves straight away, they tend to end up languishing in the fridge until they get thrown out. I hate wasting food so when I saw the box of rocket I had was a little wilted and past its best for eating as salad I thought I'd try whizzing it up into some soup. And mighty tasty it was too!
Here's how to make it:
1) Wash the rocket and leave to drain.
2) Chop a large potato and boil until tender.
3) Chop a few cloves of garlic and an onion then soften in a large saucepan with a glug of oil.
4) Make up a litre of vegetable or chicken stock.
5) Add the potatoes and veg stock to the onions and garlic and bring to the boil.
6) Add a few grinds of black pepper and salt.
7) Add the rocket and simmer for a few minutes.
8) Whizz up the soup in a blender or with a hand blender.
9) Serve with salt and pepper to taste.
I really enjoyed this soup and it cost around £1 for four portions. It tasted so healthy and peppery - like it was cleansing my insides! I certainly won't be wasting any leftover rocket again!