Sunday 1 June 2014

Recipe: Brown and wild rice salad with smoked mackerel and edamame

Brown and wild rice salad with mackerel and edamame

Bit of a health kick needed at Casa CutPriceKate - I have a wedding dress to fit into in a few months time (in a moment of braveness/madness I ordered it two sizes smaller than what I am now!) so am trying to plan my meals better to avoid unhealthy snacking. So packed lunches are very much the order of the day to avoid the temptation of buying a quick fix on the go. 

And I'm already looking forward to eating tomorrow's lunch that I've just made - brown and wild rice salad with mackerel and edamame beans and a few more veg thrown in to boot! 

I love edamame beans but usually just have them straight from the pot as a healthy snack. They're often pretty pricey though so I was delighted to find a pot in Waitrose today reduced from £2 to 65p. This time I decided to thrown the beans into a rice salad - here's how I made it:

1) Boil a mixture of brown and wild rice for 20-25 minutes.
2) Add a handful of frozen sweetcorn to the rice for the final few minutes of boiling.
3) Drain the rice and wash with cold water so the rice cools quickly.
4) Remove the edamame beans from the pods and place in a mixing bowl.
5) Chop a spring onion, red chilli and some fresh coriander and add to the bowl.
6) Flake a smoked mackerel fillet and add to the bowl.
7) Squeeze half a fresh lime over the mixture and then stir in the rice and sweetcorn.
8) Healthy and tasty packed lunch - done!

I think brown rice is really underrated - it's deliciously nutty and great for salads like this. Do give it a try if you never have before.

This salad cost around £1.20 to make - the most expensive ingredient being the reduced pot of edamame at 65p! The lime and spring onion were just 6p as both reduced. I used one mackerel fillet from a pack of four from Aldi - I've just started buying fish from there and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality for how cheap the prices are. Will definitely be trying more fresh meat and fish from there in the future.

Now I just can't wait until tomorrow's lunch to tuck into this!




No comments:

Post a Comment