|Spicy carrot and celery soup|
Day two of the £1 lunch challenge and another healthy and cheap lunch completed! Made this spicy carrot and celery soup last night with some cut-price veg. Here's how I made it:
1) Chop an onion, small bag of carrots, a few sticks of celery, a couple of cloves of garlic, a thumb-sized piece of ginger and a fresh chilli.
2) Soften for 5 minutes or so in a big pan with a glug of olive oil.
3) Add some vegetable or chicken stock, enough to cover all of the veg, and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4) Add salt and black pepper to taste.
5) Serve with fresh coriander leaves sprinkled on top.
This cost me next to nothing to make as I used a bag of carrots reduced from 68p to 14p and half a pack of celery reduced from £1 to 45p. With the other ingredients added in the soup cost approximately £1 to make. And that £1 resulted in five generous portions of the soup - 20p per portion!
So today's lunch was a portion of soup (20p), a Warburtons roll (less than 6p as part of a pack of six reduced from £1.30 to 34p), and another pack of reduced edamame beans (59p). A grand total of 85p.
Oh and as well as saving pounds I'm also losing them - four pounds lost since New Year's Day. Hurrah!