Sunday 29 July 2012

Chilli con carne to feed six for just £2!


Once again another #SOS corker - lean steak mince down from £3.60 to just 54p! One pack in the freezer and one pack for my chilli - thank you very much Tesco!



I was also lucky enough to have some #SOS potatoes at hand as well - £2.08 down to 31p! Chilli and potato wedges for tea it is then!



Here's how I made it:


1) Heat a glug of olive oil in a saucepan, add a chopped onion (I used half a leftover red onion as well as a normal brown onion), and cook until soft for about 5-10 mins.

2) Add two chopped garlic cloves, one teaspoon of sugar, one teaspoon of paprika, one teaspoon of cumin, one teaspoon of chilli powder, half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, chopped red pepper, chopped green pepper, one chopped and deseeded green chilli and some chopped fresh coriander stalk – keeping the leaves aside for later.

3) Cook for a minute or so and then add some minced beef and brown it for a few minutes.

4) Add a glug of Worcestershire sauce, some salt and pepper, two tins of chopped tomatoes and a tin of kidney beans and simmer for 30 minutes or an hour or so if you have the time.

5) I served it with potato wedges (roasted in the oven with salt and pepper, olive oil and chilli flakes), spooned over some left over tomato salsa and sprinkled the remaining coriander leaves for the finishing touch.

If I have any bacon or chorizo left over in the fridge I often add them to my chilli for a nice smoky flavour. A glug of red wine adds a certain je ne sais quoi too.

So 33p a portion for the chilli when I added in the tomatoes, peppers, kidney beans etc. and 5p a portion for the potato wedges. Dinner for 38p - can't be bad! I'm starting to begrudge paying full price for food now - #SOS food is the way forward! I'm an #SOS addict!

No comments:

Post a Comment