|Lemon and garlic samphire with fishcake and poached egg|
Those who read last night's blog will remember I found some #SOS samphire in ASDA down from £1.32 to 21p. Mr Kate did the honours tonight and served it with a cut-price fishcake from the freezer and a poached bantam's egg.
Here's how he prepared the samphire:
1) Rinse the samphire and leave to dry.
2) Very finely chop a clove of garlic.
3) Fry the garlic in a little olive oil over a high heat just until it starts to colour.
4) Add the samphire and stir continuously.
5) Squeeze over some fresh lemon juice to taste.
6) Add some freshly cracked black pepper.
We had this with some ready-made cod and chorizo fishcakes (not a huge fan of ready-made food but these were a bargain and sometimes midweek you just want to throw something in the oven!) and a poached egg to top it all off.
With the samphire at 21p, the fishcakes at 99p and the eggs free from Mr Kate's nan's friend Arthur, this cost us just £1.20 for the two of us! Would certainly have samphire again too if it appears on the shelf again!
Posh-ish nosh on the (very) cheap!